Words

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas Food List


  • Turkey. Very important one, this. Really. If you miss this one, you may as well forget about everything else. Unless you are a vegetarian. In which case, Nut Loaf.
  • Roast potatoes. It really does not matter if you have two or three different kinds of spuds - mashed, sweet potatoes, potato salad, even - but this is the important one.
  • Veg. We had: Carrots, brussels sprouts, savoy cabbage, braised red cabbage and Bramley apple, cauliflower, broccoli, peas, parsnips (roasted).
  • Stuffing.
  • Cranberry sauce.
  • Bread sauce. I've spoken about it before on this here blog. This year on a visit to Tesco I noticed the Cranberry & Port Sauce and Bread Sauce were on a special deal - 2 for £2. So I cheated. Sue me.
  • Gravy. 
  • Cakes. Tunis cake, mainly. 
  • Biscuits. M&S version of the Fox's chocolatey ones. Nice.
  • Beer. Pedigree & Beck's Vier.
  • Wine. Cheap Spanish plonk from Waitrose.
  • Cream.
  • Plenty of tea and coffee.
  • I cooked the turkey the night before to free up some space in the oven. It was a big bugger - 7.75 kilos, or 17.09 lbs if you're Imperial. Took about 4 hours.
  • Now I am completely stuffed.
NB: oddly enough, we didn't buy a Christmas pudding. Now I love the stuff, but no-one else really cares in my house. So we didn't bother with dessert at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on and chew the fat!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...