Words

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

May Wine

Back in 2010 I blogged this...

May Wine
A celebration of spring! This wine is extra special when the white flowers are blossoming. Plant some sweet woodruff and start your own springtime tradition.

3 litres white wine (any good, light white wine should do)
1/2 cup sweet woodruff, new growth
1 orange, sliced
1 lemon, sliced
1 cup sliced strawberries

Early in the day that you are going to serve this wine, combine all ingredients in a large container and chill. After a few hours the flavours will have had time to 'get happy' together. Serve in a big punchbowl while your guests enjoy the spring sunshine!

(Or, you could do what they do in Scotland, where May Wine is part of the Beltane ritual, where they dress like this

and dance round a big bonfire. 
But, whatever floats your boat.)

However, since I actually have some sweet woodruff growing in the garden and it is going absolutely potty right now, I decided I'd better make some. So I bought a bottle of my favourite cheapo wine earlier. it's not German, which would be traditional, but I like a drier white wine myself.

Whale Caller, S.African Sauv/Colombard, £4.99 from Waitrose. Not too shabby.
So... out into the garden.

Here's the woodruff.

Pluck a few sprigs.
Stuff them into the wine bottle, having first had a swig to make room.

Stick it in the fridge.
Now all I need to do is cut up a couple oranges and various other fruits, and consume in a leisurely fashion.

Kooshti sante!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on and chew the fat!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...